Wednesday 19 January 2022

Trip away from SS15 - RSPB Rainham Marshes - 19th January 2022

RSPB Rainham Marshes is not far from my home and easily visited by public transport which I do several times a year.

RSPB Rainham Marshes protects 411 hectares of ancient, low-lying grazing marsh in the Thames Estuary. Its complex of wet grassland, reedbeds, scrapes, pools and ditches, together with grassland, scrub and woodland, supports many breeding and wintering birds. Wildlife also includes scarce wetland plants and insects and a key population of the nationally declining Water Vole.  

This was my first visit in 2022, my last visit being on 16th November 2021.

As on my last visit, I had 2 main objectives other than the usual long circular walk around the reserve. For some weeks now, there have been some incredible photos of a presumably wintering Dartford Warbler and a very approachable female Kestrel, both seen regularly from the riverside footpath along the River Thames and overlooking the reserve.

Although I see Dartford Warblers annually, usually on either Westelton Heath or Dunwich Heath in Suffolk, it is a bird that I have yet to record in Essex. Did I hear it, see it and photograph it at RSPB Rainham Marshes? No! …. for the second time trying!

However, on this visit, I was able to photograph the very obliging female Kestrel although the light and high elevated position of the bird didn't result in the best outcomes.




















After a long walk along the riverside footpath and returning to the Visitor Centre for coffee and cake, I spent several hours walking around the reserve and managed to record 48 species. However, photography opportunities were somewhat limited due to both the generally poor light and the fact that most birds only provided distant views through my telescope.

The undoubted highlight during my visit was a juvenile Spoonbill on the marsh from the Shooting Butts Hide. As is often the case with this species, it spent most of the time asleep with its spoon bill tucked under its wing. It did eventually wake up, walked a short distance and then flew over the hide to the marsh on the other side.

The other highlights from my visit were as follows: Wigeon (++), Teal (++), Mallard (++), Shoveler (++), Gadwall (c.20), Shelduck (+), Pintail (c.30), Tufted Duck (c.20), Common Pochard (c.20), Little Egret (1), Grey Heron (3), Avocet (c.40 on the river foreshore), Curlew (4), Lapwing (++), Common Snipe (2), Black-tailed Godwit (1), Mute Swan (c.10), Canada Goose (++), Greylag Goose (++), Coot (++), Moorhen (3), Cormorant (1), Marsh Harrier (3), Kestrel (1), Fieldfare (1), Stonechat (1), Meadow Pipit (1), Linnet (c.10), Cetti’s Warbler (1 singing male heard), Pheasant (2)

Other records included: Black-headed Gull, Common Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, House Sparrow, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock, Starling, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon

Photo opportunities were not great due to the light and distance of the birds but here are 3 other photos from my visit ....















Photomale Wigeon















PhotoWigeon















Photomale Shoveler

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.