Monday 3 January 2022

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 3rd January 2022

Date: 3rd January 2022

Time: from 9:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy, moderate wind, 9°C to 10°C

This was my first visit of 2022 to the site and, whilst relatively quiet, it did prove to be more successful than my visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve yesterday yesterday.

The main highlight was a singing male Goldcrest which I eventually located in the usual large conifer tree in the south west corner of the site.

Robins resumed singing several weeks ago now but other species are also beginning to sing in advance of spring and the breeding season. In addition to Robins, during my visit I also heard a singing Wren, saw a singing Dunnock and several singing Great Tits and, most notably, I heard the lovely sound of 3 singing male Song Thrushes, 2 of which I saw.

I heard an extremely loud calling Green Woodpecker in the wooded area at the end of the access track from Larkins Tyres which I failed to see and I had a very brief and obscured view of a Great Spotted Woodpecker in the wooded area beyond the eastern section of the cemetery.

Whilst I saw a single Grey Squirrel in the western end of the cemetery, I failed to see any Red Foxes. Later in the day as I walked over to Asda, I did see a dead Red Fox on the side of the main road. Sadly, in urban and suburban areas, many Red Fox deaths arise from impacts with vehicles when crossing roads.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Goldcrest
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
House Sparrow
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Starling
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Collared Dove
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull

Grey Squirrel

Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 54  (17)
Mammals = 6  (1)
Butterflies = 21  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.