Saturday 1 January 2022

Visit to Gloucester Park – 1st January 2022

Date: 1st January 2022

Time: from 8:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 13°C to 14°C

The first day of the calendar year is always a big day for birders since year listing commences.

During the first Covid-19 related lockdown, Gloucester Park became one of my regular local patches together with the area around St. Nicholas Church and Noak Bridge Nature Reserve.

Whilst I have continued to visit the other sites on a regular basis, I ceased visiting Gloucester Park due to the level of disturbance, littering and other anti-social behaviour.

This was my first visit since 7th April 2021. Given that there was no public transport meaning that I had to stay local, I decided on Gloucester Park as my New Years Day location since it offered a greater range of habitats and the prospect of a larger species list than my other 2 local patch sites.

It was a sunny and dry morning with an amazingly mild temperature for January, especially compared with my visit last April when the temperature was -1°C to 1°C.

There were several highlights to my visit this morning with the most notable record being a female Tufted Duck on the main lake. I have only seen this species at Gloucester Park once before, a male recorded on several occasions in 2021.

The other highlights from my visit were Grey Heron perched at the side of the small lake near the housing development, several singing Robins and a singing Song Thrush.

With regard to water birds, I saw the following scattered across the main lake and the 2 smaller lakes: an adult and immature Mute Swan on the main lake plus 5 flying over shortly after I arrived on site, 23 Canada Geese, c.30 Mallards, 4 Coots and c.30 Moorhens. The Coot count was much lower than usual whilst I have never seen so many Moorhens. Surprisingly, there was not a single Greylag Goose on or around the main lake and Canada Geese numbers were lower than usual.

In addition, there were 7 or 8 Cormorants perched in the tall trees on the island in the main lake or fishing in the lake itself. A single bird perched in a small tree close to the edge of the lake and allowed an uncharacteristic close approach which enabled me to photograph it.

With regard to mammals, I saw a single Grey Squirrel near the small lake at the eastern end of the site.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Goldfinch
Pied Wagtail
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Carrion Crow
Magpie
Grey Heron
Tufted Duck
Mallard
Mute Swan
Canada Goose
Coot
Moorhen
Cormorant
Herring Gull
Black-headed Gull

Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:















Photo: female Tufted Duck















Photo: male Mallard















Photo: male Mallard















Photo: Grey Heron















Photo: Mute Swan















Photo: Mute Swan















Photo: Mute Swan















Photo: Canada Geese















Photo: Canada Goose















Photo: Canada Geese















Photo: Black-headed Gull















Photo: Cormorant















Photo: Cormorant















Photo: Cormorant















Photo: Robin















Photo: Robin















Photo: Grey Squirrel














Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 47  (24)
Mammals = 2  (1)
Butterflies = 1  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (0)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.