Monday 17 January 2022

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 17th January 2022

Date: 17th January 2022

Time: from 8:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 2°C

Before leaving home for my visit, there was a beautiful sight of the Moon setting over SS15.


















It was a lovely sunny winter’s morning although very cold with some remnant ground frost.

This was my second visit of 2022 to the site and, although relatively quiet, I was able to add 4 species to my site list for the year.

Firstly, and most notably, I heard a calling Chiffchaff in the central section of the cemetery and then had a brief view of the bird before it disappeared into the boundary bushes. This species is increasingly over-wintering in the UK due to our warmer winters so this bird was presumably one of the residents from last summer or an individual that possibly followed a wandering tit flock on to site. Given that the Chiffchaff is an insectivorous species, it is still amazing that they find enough to eat and sustain themselves during the colder months of the year.

I also saw my first Jay of the year for the site.

My 2022 site list for mammals increased to 3 with the addition of Red Fox and Reeves’ Muntjac. Both were relatively brief views and both in the same location, namely the rough grassland field and scrub in the north of the site. The Red Fox quickly ran across the corner of the field to the left of me before disappearing into the scrub and bushes whilst the Reeves’ Muntjac emerged from the bushes at the far side of the field before it also disappeared from view very quickly. Therefore, I was unable to get any photos of either of them.  

As on my last visit, there was some bird song including Robins and a single Dunnock. However, the highlight again was an almost continually singing Song Thrush in the wooded area at the end of the track from Larkins Tyres, a bird that proved difficult to photograph well.

As I returned home via the track to Larkins Tyres, I briefly heard a calling Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Dunnock
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Reeves’ Muntjac

Here are some photos from my visit:




























Photo: Song Thrush




























Photo: Song Thrush





























Photo: Great Tit




























Photo: male Blackbird


























Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 54  (19)
Mammals = 6  (3)
Butterflies = 21  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.