Friday 29 April 2022

Sapere aude

Sapere aude is the Latin phrase meaning "dare to know" and it also loosely translated as “have courage to use your own reason”, "dare to know things" or even more loosely as "dare to be wise".

Originally used in the First Book of Letters (20 BC) by the Roman poet Horace, the phrase sapere aude became associated with the Age of Enlightenment during the 17th and 18th centuries after Immanuel Kant used it in the essay "Answering the Question: What Is Enlightenment?" in 1784.

As a philosopher, Immanuel Kant claimed the phrase sapere aude as the motto for the entire period of the Age of Enlightenment and used it to develop his theories of the application of reason in the public sphere of human affairs.

The Age of Enlightenment was an intellectual and philosophical movement that dominated Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries with global influences and effects. It included a range of ideas centered on the value of human happiness, the pursuit of knowledge obtained by means of reason and the evidence of the senses and ideals such as libertyprogresstolerationfraternity, constitutional government and the separation of church and state.

I had not heard of the phrase sapere aude until recently but realised that it has formed the basis of how I have developed my views and opinions on politics, religion, science and much more during my lifetime.

I also strongly believe that the concept can be applied to continually learning and gaining knowledge about nature and the natural world. I have been interested in and passionate about nature and the natural world since I was a young child .... and I still "dare to know".























💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.