Tuesday 19 April 2022

Trip away from SS15 – Danbury Common, Essex

I had an early morning visit to Danbury Common today, although it would have been even earlier if it hadn't been for cancelled bus services (again!).

Danbury Common is a 70.2 hectare Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) located near the village of Danbury in mid-Essex. Most of it is common land owned by the National Trust whilst 2 areas areas, the Backwarden and Hitchcock's Meadows, are part of the Essex Wildlife Trust's Danbury Ridge Nature ReservesThe site is one of the largest areas of heathland left in Essex and it also includes bracken and gorse scrub and oak and birch woodland. It is criss-crossed by many tracks and paths providing easy access.

The main target species during my visit was Nightingale. I was not disappointed. I heard my first singing male from the main car park just minutes after getting off the bus. In total, I heard 8 singing males, of which I had excellent views of 2 birds. Here are photos of both of the birds that I saw ....




























Photo: male Nightingale




























Photo: male Nightingale

In addition to Nightingale, I added another 2 summer migrants to my 2022 year list taking it to a current total of 140 species: Cuckoo (a repeatedly calling male plus a briefly calling female although unfortunately neither seen) and Common Whitethroat (2 singing males seen) 




























Photo: male Common Whitethroat




























Photo: male Common Whitethroat




























Photo: male Common Whitethroat

In addition to the usual common woodland and countryside birds, other notable records during my visit included the followingBlackcap (2 pairs seen, 5 singing males seen, single female seen and at least 5 other singing males heard), Chiffchaff (2 singing males seen and at least 6 others heard), Linnet (6), Goldcrest (1 heard singing) Greenfinch (1 heard calling), Great Spotted Woodpecker (1 seen, 1 heard drumming and 1 heard calling) 

Whilst waiting for the bus back to Chelmsford at nearby Eve's Corner, I saw a Grey Heron flying over.

Here are some of my photos of Danbury Common including Bluebells, Wood Anemone and Gorse, all of which were present in abundance.








































































Photo: Blue Tit

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.