Monday 18 April 2022

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 18th April 2022

Date: 18th April 2022

Time: from 11:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, hazy sunshine, light wind, 13°C to 15°C

I had an exceptionally good visit this morning with 3 new reserve records plus 7 new records for 2022.

Again, I had a later start to my visit than normal in the hope that the warmer temperatures would provide sightings of reptiles, amphibians and butterflies. I was amply rewarded.

At the Meadow Pond, I saw a Grass Snake and a Common Frog, both new records for the reserve for me.

I was alerted to some movement in the middle of the pond and through my binoculars I could just make out the movement of a swimming snake. The diagnostic yellow collar of a Grass Snake was clearly visible. Unfortunately, I could not get a photo since the auto-focus was struggling with all the surrounding vegetation and it quickly disappeared from view.

The Common Frog was difficult to spot at the edge of the pond given its small size and its partly submerged body but I did manage to get a photo.















I walked slowly and quietly around the East Meadow boardwalk several times looking for Common Lizards basking in the sun. On my final circuit, I finally spotted one but it also spotted me before I could get a photo and it quickly darted in to the vegetation. I waited unsuccessfully for it to re-emerge. This was first record of Common Lizard at the reserve for 2022.

It was an excellent morning for butterflies with 5 species recorded: Small Tortoiseshell (1), Peacock (2), Orange Tip (c.10 including 1 male), Speckled Wood (14) and Brimstone (1 male) 

Small Tortoiseshell was a new record for the reserve for me plus the remaining species, other than Brimstone, were all first records at the reserve for 2022. 




























Photo: Speckled Wood




























Photo: female Orange Tip




























Photo: female Orange Tip

With regard to birds, I added 3 species to my 2022 list for the reserve bringing the total to date to 22: Common Buzzard (1 flying high over Meadow Pond heading in a northerly direction), House Sparrow (a small flock of c.10 birds in the hedge near the storage shed) and Song Thrush (1 singing).

Both Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps are firmly established around the reserve now. I failed to see any Chiffchaffs but heard at least 3 singing males. Blackcaps were very conspicuous and I saw 4 singing males and heard at least 4 others.















Photo: male Blackcap















Photo: male Blackcap

The only other notable bird record was a very noisy calling Moorhen on Meadow Pond.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Wren
Robin
Dunnock
House Sparrow
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Common Buzzard
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Moorhen

Grass Snake
Common Lizard
Common Frog

Brimstone
Orange Tip
Peacock
Small Tortoiseshell
Speckled Wood

Here are some other photos from my visit:




























Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 43  (22)
Mammals = 2  (1)
Butterflies = 19  (6)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 13  (0)
Reptiles = 2  (2)
Amphibians = 3  (1)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.