Monday 11 April 2022

Trip away from SS15 – Coalhouse Fort, East Tilbury, Essex

This morning I had another birding trip via public transport although one much closer to home compared with my recent trip to RSPB Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk.

Coalhouse Fort is a historical site located immediately alongside the River Thames in East Tilbury in Essex. However, my focus for birding was a large wetland scrape habitat that has been created just inside the river wall to the east of the fort.

My main target species this morning were a Temminck’s Stint that had been reported in recent days plus the return of summering and hopefully breeding Little Ringed Plovers. I was successful in respect of both species.

Temminck’s Stint is a tiny wader which occurs mainly by freshwater marshes, pools and lakes in the UK. It breeds mostly in the far north beyond the Arctic Circle and it is rare but annual passage migrant in varying numbers in this country. I have seen this species several times in north Norway and north Finland. This was only my 6th record in the UK and the first since 2012. Needless to say, it was my first record for 2022. I had an excellent telescope view albeit brief as the bird relocated out of sight.

I saw at least 4 Little Ringed Plovers which were very conspicuous both calling and displaying. Again, this was my first record of this species for 2022.

I also added a further 3 species to my 2022 year list taking it to a current total of 135 species: Sand Martin (4), Mediterranean Gull (2) and Ringed Plover (1)

Other highlights during my visit and seen on the scrape included the following: Avocet (1), Oystercatcher (2), Shelduck (c.50), Gadwall (c.20), Teal (c.20), Shoveler (c.10), Mallard (c.10), Tufted Duck (c.10),  Little Grebe (3), Water Rail (1 heard calling), Coot (4), Mute Swan (1), Greylag Goose (c.10 including a pair with goslings), Canada Goose (c.10), Common Gull (2), Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull

Additional notable records between the fort and the scrape included the following: Chiffchaff (1 singing male heard), Blackcap (1 singing male), Cetti’s Warbler (2 singing males heard), Skylark (2 singing males heard), Meadow Pipit (3), Linnet (c.10), Kestrel (1), Little Egret (1)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.