Saturday 9 April 2022

Trip away from SS15 – RSPB Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk

I am aiming to undertake as many of my day spring birding trips by public transport as practically possible.

Apart from being significantly more “green” and sustainable than driving by car, car rental prices have increased hugely following the Covid-19 pandemic as have petrol and diesel prices arising from a surge on global energy markets and the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Whilst I can not reach all of my favourite birding locations by public transport, it is surprising how many are accessible with careful planning on Google maps.

Today, I had a trip to north east Norfolk which is considerably more distant than locations in Essex and London that I have visited by public transport in the past.

RSPB Strumpshaw Fen lies 6 to the east of Norwich in the valley of the River Yare and it is a site that I have visited many times before .... by car.

Today's trip cost me just £24 using a bus from Basildon to Chelmsford, the excellent and very fast train from Chelmsford to Norwich and another bus from Norwich to Brundall followed by a short walk to RSPB Strumpshaw Fen. Yes, it took longer by bus and train but it was much more enjoyable and relaxing. Oh, and if I had gone by car, the cost of a rental and the petrol would have been anything between 10 and 15 times more expensive. What's not to like?

My train journey from Chelmsford to Norwich provided sightings of several Roe Deer, Brown Hares and Rabbits plus several species of ducks and waders on the Stour estuary at Manningtree.

RSPB Strumpshaw Fen is part of the Mid-Yare Valley along with Surlingham, Rockland, Buckenham and Cantley in the Norfolk Broads. The valley protects a mosaic of wetland habitats which is home to a wide range of important species.

RSPB Strumpshaw Fen has the designations Site of Special Scientific Interest , Special Protection Area and Special Area of ConservationIt has the full range of broadland habitats including reedbeds, wet woodlands, wet grasslands, ponds and ditches and orchid-rich meadows. Key species include Bittern, Marsh Harrier, Bearded Tit, Kingfisher, Water Vole, Otter and Swallowtail butterfly amongst many others.

The short walk down the lane from the bus stop just outside the village of Brundall to RSPB Strumpshaw Fen provided records of Common Buzzard (2), Chiffchaff (at least 4 singing males heard), Goldcrest (1), Jay (2), Pheasant (2), several each of Greenfinch, Chaffinch and Goldfinch plus other common garden/woodland birds.

My main target species at RSPB Strumpshaw Fen was Garganey, a relatively scarce summer visiting and breeding dabbling duck which is slightly larger than a Teal. There has been a significant spring passage this year and RSPB Strumpshaw Fen has recorded up to 8 birds. I successfully saw 4 Garganeys (2 males and 2 females) from the Tower Hide and the extended and excellent views were probably my best of this sometimes difficult to see species. This was my first record of Garganey for 2022.

Other highlights included the following: Swallow (a single bird and my first record for 2022), Willow Warbler (a brief song heard and again my first record of 2022), Chiffchaff (2 singing males seen and at least 7 others heard), Blackcap (2 singing males seen and at least 2 others heard), Cetti’s Warbler (2 singing males heard), Marsh Harrier (8 but possibly some duplication), Common Buzzard (2), Common Redshank (2), Great Crested Grebe (5), Shelduck (4), Gadwall c.10), Shoveler (2), Teal (c.20), Mallard (2), Tufted Duck (4), Coot (4), Moorhen (3), Greylag Goose (c.35), Canada Goose (2), Mute Swan (4)

Other notable passerine records included the following: Marsh Tit (2), Coal Tit (1), Nuthatch (1 heard calling), Goldcrest (1 heard singing)

My only mammal record was of a single Chinese Water Deer which ran past the Tower Hide much to the surprise of a few resting Teal.

During my trip to RSPB Strumpshaw Fen, I recorded a total of 33 bird species, of which 3 were additions to my 2022 year list taking it to a current total of 130 species.

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.