Monday 3 April 2023

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 3rd April 2023

Date: 3rd April 2023

Time: from 7:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 2°C to 8°C

I accessed the site as usual via the track from Larkins Tyres. From the wooded clearing at the end of the track, I took the short walk through the trees to the fence, my regular watchpoint overlooking the field, scrub, hedges and trees in the north of the site. I spent some time here and walking around the northern section of the site.

This was the third consecutive visit where I have recorded Common Buzzard in the northern section of the site, this time a single bird perched in a tree.

I also saw a male and female Mallard flying off and away from the pond where I had previously seen a pair on 15th March 2023.

In this same area, I additionally saw a group of 3 fly-over calling Greenfinches and heard at least 2 other calling birds. This used to be a species that I only recorded rarely each year and it is really encouraging to now hear and sometimes see them on a regular basis in the northern section of the site where there is definitely suitable nesting habitat.

Following my visit yesterday, Chiffchaffs were again very evident across the site and I saw 2 singing males and a presumed calling female and heard at least 4 other singing males.

After my first record of a singing but unseen male Blackcap of the year, again during my visit yesterday, this morning I saw 2 singing males, the first in the western section of the cemetery and the second along the path leading away from the wooded area at the end of the access track from Larkins Tyres. I was able to photograph both these birds.

Finally, I heard 2 calling Green Woodpeckers, the first in the northern section of the site and the second in the wooded area at the end of the access track from Larkins Tyres plus 2 calling Great Spotted Woodpeckers, the first in the south west corner of the site (this bird was also “drumming”) and the second from my watchpoint overlooking the field, scrub, hedges and trees in the north of the site.

After the complete absence of any mammal sightings during my last visit yesterday, this morning I saw a single Red Fox at the far side of the field from my watchpoint and 2 Grey Squirrels around the large oak tree in the same area.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap

Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Song Thrush
Blackbird
House Sparrow
Greenfinch
Common Buzzard
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie 
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Mallard

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:




























Photo: male Blackcap



























Photo: male Blackcap




























Photo: male Blackcap




























Photo: male Blackcap




























Photo: male Blackcap




























Photo: male Chiffchaff



























Photo: male Chiffchaff



























Photo: male Chiffchaff



























Photo: male Chiffchaff




























Photo: Song Thrush




























Photo: Robin




























Photo: Robin




























Photo: male Blackbird




























Photo: Blue Tit



























Photo: Great Tit




























Photo: Great Tit




























Photo: Red Fox




























Photo: Grey Squirrel

























































Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 35  (45)
Mammals = 3  (5)
Butterflies = 0  (17)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (7)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 60
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 22
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.