Thursday 13 April 2023

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 13th April 2023

Date: 13th April 2023

Time: from 6:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, moderate wind, 7°C to 9°C

After the excitement of yesterday, I had a further visit this morning, specifically to try and see the Willow Warbler and Firecrest.

I accessed the site as usual via the track from Larkins Tyres. From the wooded clearing at the end of the track, I took the short walk through the trees to the fence, my regular watchpoint overlooking the field, scrub, hedges and trees in the north of the site. I spent some time here and walking around the northern section of the site. I did not visit the remainder of the site.

The male Willow Warbler was again singing sporadically but once more I still failed to locate it. There was no sign of the Firecrest.

During this visit, I failed to see a Common Buzzard, unlike on my 5 previous visits but, following the sighting yesterday yesterday, I again saw a Sparrowhawk flying through.















Photo: Sparrowhawk

Photo: Sparrowhawk
















Photo: Sparrowhawk

Greenfinches have been very evident on recent visits but this morning I only occasionally heard them and only had a brief view of a single bird flying.

Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps were also less evident around the northern section of the site than on previous visits. I only saw 1 singing male Chiffchaff although I heard at least 5 other singing males and saw a single non-singing/calling bird. I only heard 1 singing male Blackcaps.

I heard a calling Green Woodpecker again in the northern section of the site but on this visit I failed to see it.

I did not see any Red Foxes this morning but for the second successive visit I did see a single Reeves’ Muntjac and 3 Grey Squirrels in the northern section of the site.
















Photo: Reeves' Muntjac
















Photo: Reeves' Muntjac

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):


Willow Warbler
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Sparrowhawk
Green Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie 
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull

Reeve’s Muntjac
Grey Squirrel

Here are some other photos from my visit:




























Photo: Blue Tit




























Photo: Blue Tit



























Photo: Long-tailed Tit



























Photo: Robin



























Photo: Robin



























Photo: Robin



























Photo: Robin



























Photo: Robin



























Photo: Robin



























Photo: Magpie



























Photo: Lesser Black-backed Gull



























Photo: Herring Gull



























Photo: Herring Gull




























Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 37  (45)
Mammals = 3  (5)
Butterflies = 0  (17)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (7)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 62
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 22
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.