Saturday 21 March 2020

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve - 21st March 2020

Date: 21st March 2020

Time: from 11:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, windy, 6°C to 8°C

This was my inaugural visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve having chosen it as a site to feature in this blog.

The undoubted highlight was my first Chiffchaff for this site. I first noticed a small warbler, greenish-brown above and off-white below, actively flitting through the trees. I then heard the diagnostic song. The Chiffchaff is named onomatopoeically after its simple and metronomic "chiff-chaff" song. At the end of my visit, I had seen 2 singing male Chiffchaffs and heard another.


In most years, I hear and see my first Chiffchaff of the year at my other site, St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas. However, although the Chiffchaff is primarily a summer migrant arriving in the UK in mid to late March, it is increasingly being recorded during the winter months due to our warming climate. Therefore, my first records of Chiffchaff in 2020 were during my trip to south west England (specifically in Devon) in the first week of January.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Blackbird
Goldfinch
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon

Here are some photos from around Noak Bridge Nature Reserve:







Site totals to date:

Birds = 12
Mammals = 0
Butterflies = 0
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0
Reptiles = 0
Amphibians = 0


💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.