Tuesday 17 March 2020

Wildlife watching: a typical year

Like the majority of birders, I keep a UK annual list, an ongoing UK life list and several separate UK County lists.

During a typical calendar year, I usually manage to record between 210 and 230 species. My best years were 2010 and 2017 when I recorded 234 species in both years.

At the time of creating this blog, my 2020 year to date total was 144 species following some very successful New Year and winter birding but in advance of the spring migration and arrival of summer migrants.

My UK life list currently stands at 352 species.

I am also trying to collate my records from my trips to Europe and my Western Palaearctic list (UK and Europe) probably stands at over 450 species.

A typical year starts with January visits to several of my regular Essex sites plus a weekend trip to Norfolk. In the last 2 years, I have also taken January trips to the west of England to include Gloucestershire, Somerset, Devon and Dorset.

For many years now, I have taken trips to Wales in May and the Scottish Highlands in June. 

At various points throughout the year, I usually have day trips within Essex and to Kent and weekend trips to Suffolk and Norfolk and occasionally Lincolnshire. A second and sometimes even a third trip to Scotland is squeezed in.

I generally take a trip of between 1 and 3 weeks to Europe each year and these have included the following:

January and February 2020 - Republic of Ireland

December 2019 - Netherlands

June and July 2019 - north Finland and north Norway

January 2019 - north east Poland

May and June 2018 - Bulgaria and Romania

May and June 2017 - Hungary, Slovakia and south Poland

May 2016 - Estonia and north east Finland

June 2015 - Iceland

May 2015 - north Greece

September 2013 - south Spain

May 2013 - north east Poland

April and May 2012 - south and west Spain

March 2012 - north Norway

September 2010 - south and north west Spain

April 2010 - north Finland and north Norway

November 2009 - north east Spain

May and June 2009 - north and east Finland and north Norway

February 2009 - north Norway

September 2008 - Bay of Biscay

Reports on my trips within the UK and to Europe can be found on my website


💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.