Thursday 26 March 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas - 26th March 2020

Date: 26th March 2020

Time: from 9:00 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 5°C to 8°C

Although I have visited this site many times over the years, this was my first visit having chosen it as a site to feature in this blog.

The highlight was my first Blackcap of the year taking my UK 2020 year list to 145. I first heard a male singing somewhat distantly. A brief play of its song on my Collins Bird Guide app on my mobile phone brought him rushing in to sing defiantly over my head.


In addition to the Blackcap, Chiffchaffs were very obvious and I saw 2 singing males and heard 3 others.

This site almost always provides my first records of the year for both Blackcap (normally late March to early April) and Chiffchaff (normally mid to late March).

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Goldcrest
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Green Woodpecker 
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon

When I returned home, I almost immediately saw from my window a female Sparrowhawk in its characteristic "flap-flap-glide" flight. I have seen this species before both whilst walking around the site and overlooking it from my window.

Here are some photos from around the site:







Site totals to date:
Birds = 41
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 15
Dragonflies and damselflies = 3
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature






No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.