Tuesday 1 September 2020

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 1st September 2020

Date: 1st September 2020

Time: from 10:00 a.m.

Weather:
 dry, sunny, light wind, 16°C to 17°C

On my visit to the area around St. Nicholas Church on 
27th August 2020, I noted “What was immediately evident compared with my last visit 2 weeks ago was that many of the wild flowers have died and have been replaced by the variety of autumn fruits, berries and nuts”.

This was my first visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve since 13th August 2020 and it was exactly the same experience. A few wild flower species were still obvious but it was the blackberries (Bramble), haws (Hawthorn), hips (Wild Rose), sloes (Blackthorn), elderberries (Elder) plus the acorns that were most evident.

With regard to birds, it was exceptionally quiet with few birds seen and only sporadic singing and calling. However, the increase in Robin song was very noticeable which is not surprising since this species is usually the first to return to singing after the breeding season and summer moult is over.

Nonetheless, I had 2 notable bird records on this visit.

Firstly, as I walked along the main track I saw a Common Buzzard soaring over the southern edge of the reserve. After watching it for a few minutes, it glided off over the A127. I have recently seen Common Buzzards from my flat window: 9th July 2020 (1), 8th August (1) and 27th August 2020 (2). Compared with when I first started birding, when Common Buzzards were mainly found in upland areas in the west and north of the UK, I now see this bird of prey on a regular basis in Essex and other parts of East Anglia following their significant range expansion. Needless to say, this was my first record of Common Buzzard for Noak Bridge Nature Reserve bringing my site total for bird species to 36.

Secondly, I didn’t expect to record either Blackcap or Chiffchaff on this visit. My assumption was correct in respect of the former but I did record the latter. Shortly after seeing the Common Buzzard, I heard the soft whistled contact call of a Chiffchaff which was quickly followed by a rather subdued double “chiff-chaff, chiff-chaff”.  Whilst at Puckles Pond, I heard another singing male Chiffchaff and this bird sang continuously for around a minute but again in a rather subdued manner. Obviously these 2 birds have not read the memo which clearly states: “It is now officially autumn. The breeding season is over. Singing can now cease. Prepare to migrate south for the winter” 😊.

The reduced diversity and abundance of wild flowers has led to an decline in butterfly species and I only managed to record 2 species, both of which were somewhat faded and worn: Holly Blue (2), Small White (2)

I also saw a single dragonfly species by the track to Fox Pond: female Ruddy Darter (1)

Finally, on entering the site, I saw a Grey Squirrel in the wooded area by the “Spanish Steps”.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Common Buzzard
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Wren
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Woodpigeon

Holly Blue
Small White

Ruddy Darter 

Here are some photos from my visit:

























Photo: female Ruddy Darter

























Photo: Blackberries



Photo: Haws

Photo: Haws

Photo: Haws

























Photo: Haws

Photo: Hips

























Photo: Hips


Photo: Sloes 


Photo: Sloes 


























Photo: Sloes 

Photo: Sloes 



Photo: Elderberries 

Photo: Acorns 


Photo: Acorns 

Site totals to date:

Birds = 36
Mammals = 2
Butterflies= 18
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.