Wednesday 30 September 2020

Common Buzzards and Swallows seen from the non-lockdown window

On 24th June 2020 I made a decision to cease recording sightings on a daily basis from what is no longer a lockdown window.

However, I also said that I would continue to post any interesting sightings as and when they arise.

Just this week on 29th September 2020 , I recorded 2 Sparrowhawks, my first for this species for several months.

After seeing 7 Common Buzzards since early July 2020 and the most recent on 12th September 2020, this species retuned to form today after the Sparrowhawk challenge.

At 2:05 p.m., I saw a single Common Buzzard soaring over the wooded area towards St. Nicholas Church before lazily heading in the direction of my flat. It then appeared to fly off north. Just a few minutes later, I briefly saw another Common Buzzard, again over the woodland before it drifted off south west. Therefore, I think there were 2 separate individuals.

These were my 8th and 9th records of Common Buzzard from my flat window with the last 8 since early July 2020.

I had a further notable record today when I was lucky to see 2 Swallows flying rapidly through at 4:15 p.m. Many Swallows will have now left the UK for their wintering range in South Africa although I also saw a few in Norfolk during the third week of September. It was no surprise that today’s birds were heading south .... only 8000 plus miles to Cape Town as the Swallow flies!

Until 108 years ago, the location of Swallows in autumn and winter was something of a mystery. As recently as the 18th century many observers, even great naturalists such as Gilbert White, hypothesised that they hibernated in mud by ponds. However, on 27th December 1912, a letter was received by bird ring supplier Harry Witherby from a hotelier in Natal, South Africa, confirming the amazing truth. It revealed that a Swallow found trapped in a nearby farmhouse had a ring on it marked Witherby, High Holborn, London. The bird had actually been ringed by John Masefield in Cheadle, Staffordshire, on 6th May 1911. Our knowledge of bird behaviour and migration had taken a huge leap forward.

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.