Tuesday 29 September 2020

Sparrowhawks seen from the non-lockdown window

On 24th June 2020 I made a decision to cease recording sightings on a daily basis from what is no longer a lockdown window.

However, I also said that I would continue to post any interesting sightings as and when they arise.

After seeing 6 Common Buzzards since early July 2020, another raptor species thought it should get in on the act today.

I recorded either a single or a pair of Sparrowhawks on several occasions during the spring when my flat window was actually a lockdown window and when this species was very active soaring over the wooded area towards St. Nicholas Church or actually flying over my flat.

Today at 11:05 a.m., I saw my first Sparrowhawk for several months as it drifted in slowly from the south. Almost immediately it was joined by another and they both soared together for a few minutes before heading off west.

In recent days, the long-staying Bearded Vulture which took up temporary residence from June 2020 in the Peak District and far from the usual range in the Alps or the Pyrenees (see here and here) was reported as moving through Leicestershire and then through Norfolk yesterday. With a huge amount of luck, maybe its reorientation back towards the high mountains of Europe will persuade it to fly over Basildon in Essex and provide a mega raptor record from my non-lockdown window! 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.