Tuesday 1 September 2020

Juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker seen from the non-lockdown window

On 24th June 2020 I made a decision to cease recording sightings on a daily basis from what is no longer a lockdown window.

However, I also said that I would continue to post any interesting sightings as and when they arise.

I have continued to hear both Great Spotted Woodpecker and Green Woodpecker fairly regularly from my flat.

However, this morning at 9:30 a.m., I heard the distinctive sound of a calling Great Spotted Woodpecker and quickly managed to locate it perched on a TV aerial of one of the houses opposite my flat. 


The red crown, blotchy white shoulder patches and paler red vent confirmed that it was a juvenile. Adult Great Spotted Woodpeckers have a black crown, although the male does have a red patch on the back of the head, distinctive while oval shoulder patches and a bright red vent.

Clearly, this young Great Spotted Woodpecker was still learning that it is an arboreal species and that trees are, or should be, its natural habitat 😀. However, I have also seen juvenile Green Woodpeckers on the rooftops on a few occasions so obviously it takes a while to get the hang of the whole tree thing 😀.









Photo: juvenile Green Woodpecker at Czarina Rise, Laindon, Essex

Unfortunately, by the time that I had attached the zoom lens to my camera, this morning's Great Spotted Woodpecker decided to fly off but here is a photo of a juvenile showing the distinctive red crown which I took at SWT Loch of the Lowes at Dunkeld in Perthshire.

















Photo: juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker at SWT Loch of the Lowes, Dunkeld, Perthshire

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.