Tuesday 9 February 2021

Record from my flat - Red Fox (feet!)

The sight of falling snow, let alone lying snow, is now very rare in southern England. However, when we do see winter snow, as we have in recent days, it provides a glimpse into the secretive lives of some of our wildlife.

As they move across the snow-covered ground, animals leave footprints or tracks behind. These tracks can tell us what animals are around and give an insight into what they have been doing.

Yesterday evening, snow fell heavily for several hours. When I went to bed, I had a final look outside and it was no longer snowing.

I quickly noticed the tracks of a Red Fox across the snow-covered grass in front of one of the ground floor flats. The more I looked around the area immediately outside the front of my flat, the more I noticed that a very active animal had passed through and left tracks in the road and along the paths. I then looked out of a rear window and saw even more tracks across the small communal garden, around the bin area and across the car park.

Given that I live in a second floor flat, I had an ideal view of the nocturnal wanderings of a Red Fox. It made me wonder how frequently they visit. I have seen them on many occasions over the years but it is likely that they pass through almost every night.

The tracks of a Red Fox have 4 toes – 2 at the front and 1 at each side – and a roughly oval-shaped pad at the rear. Claw marks may be visible at the end of each toe. As both are members of the Canidae family, Red Foxes and dogs have similar tracks but they can be told apart. Red Fox tracks tend to be narrower with the toes closer together giving it a diamond shape whilst a dog’s tracks are slightly rounder. Size is also an indicator: Red Fox tracks are around 5cm to 7cm long and up to 4cm wide so any prints larger than this are likely to belong to a dog.

I did not go outside so I could not see any of this detail but a single feature of the tracks did confirm that the visitor was a Red Fox since the distribution of the tracks can be a clue too. Red Foxes usually "direct register". This means that they will place their rear foot directly and exactly into the place where the front foot was placed. In the snow, the tracks appear as if a one-legged Red Fox has come hopping through! Dogs move around much more erratically and their tracks reflect this.

 

UPDATE: I had intended to takes some photos of the Red Fox tracks this morning but overnight there was clearly more heavy snow with snow still persisting. Therefore, last night’s evidence of a Red Fox passing through has disappeared.


Below is a video from Adele Brand. I have just finished reading her excellent book "The Hidden World of the Fox" (yet another addition to my Red Fox library!).


























💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.