Tuesday 23 February 2021

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 23rd February 2021

Date: 23rd February 2021

Time: from 9:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, moderate wind, 8°C to 11°C

This was my first visit to the reserve since 11th February 2021 when it was extremely cold, dull and grey and with a lot of the white stuff on the ground!

Today was a considerable contrast: a lovely dry and sunny morning albeit a bit chilly with the moderate wind.

The highlight of my visit was a distantly “mewing” Common Buzzard, unfortunately beyond the northern boundary of the reserve so I can not claim it as a first site record for the year. 

However, I have seen this species before flying over the reserve (on 1st September 2020) and I have already seen it this year flying over my other local patch site around St. Nicholas Church. I also recorded it on several occasions during 2020 from my flat window. Therefore Common Buzzards are in our local area and worth listening and looking out for.

The other highlights from my visit were a male Mallard hidden away at the southern end of Willow Pond and a loudly calling Green Woodpecker which I failed to see.

I think this was my first Mallard of the year actually seen on one of the ponds, my other records all being fly-over sightings.

Given my experience in recent days in some of the woodlands making up the Essex Wildlife Trust Langdon reserve and also around St. Nicholas Church, I was expecting to see both Green Woodpecker and Great Spotted Woodpecker given that both species are very conspicuous at this time of year, calling and “drumming” in advance of the breeding season. That didn't turn out to be the case.

Other than that, all the usual expected bird species were seen.

Finally, I saw 8 Grey Squirrels during my visit: 3 individuals in the wooded area along the track between the storage shed and the East Meadow, another 3 individuals in the wooded area around the Spanish Steps and 2 individuals running across the track between the Spanish Steps and the reserve exit.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Goldfinch
Green Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Mallard

Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:

























Photo: Long-tailed Tit

























Photo: Robin

























Photo: male Mallard

























Photo: Woodpigeon

























Photo: Grey Squirrel

























Photo: Grey Squirrel

























Photo: Grey Squirrel

























Photo: Grey Squirrel



















































Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 40  (20)
Mammals = 2  (1)
Butterflies = 18  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.