Friday 5 February 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 5th February 2021

Date: 5th February 2021

Time: from 8:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy/sunny, light wind, 7°C to 9°C

Following my visit yesterday, I had another visit this morning although I started out much earlier. It was again relatively warm compared with recent weeks with a definite feel of the approaching spring given the increasing amount of bird activity and birdsong plus the emergence of Hazel catkins and the surprise appearance of a bumblebee species which I was unable to identify.

In another sign that spring is not too far away, my visit also enabled me to record my highest species list for many months: 21 bird species and 3 mammal species …. and that bumblebee species.

My species list did not include any singing Chiffchaffs which was not a great surprise given that this summer migrant generally returns in mid-March (although I did see presumably an over-wintering individual on 15th December 2020). However, I did read 2 social media reports of singing Chiffchaffs elsewhere in Essex this morning.

accessed the site as usual via the track from Larkins Tyres and then, on reaching the clearing, I took the short track through the woodland to the fencing that provides a watchpoint to scan the field and the trees, hedges and scrub bordering it. I spent around an hour here, primarily with the intention (hope) of seeing and photographing Red Foxes.

As I started to walk down the short track through the trees to the watchpoint, I could see a Reeves’ Muntjac feeding out in the open in front of a large oak tree. However, when I reached the fence, it had already moved back in to woodland where I could just about see both it and another individual. Unfortunately, a photo opportunity missed.

Whilst waiting for the appearance of a Red Fox, there were plenty of active Magpies and Woodpigeons (at least c.20 of each). More notably, I was able to record a single fly-over Sparrowhawk, 2 fly-over Great Spotted Woodpeckers, a calling Green Woodpecker, at least 2 and possibly more Goldcrests, a very loud singing Wren, an almost continually singing Song Thrush and at least 2 and possibly more Redwings. In addition, I saw at least 3 Grey Squirrels, including 2 together, at various locations in the trees and hedges surrounding the field.

After about 30 minutes at this watchpoint and after lowering my binoculars after watching 2 Redwings, I suddenly spotted a Red Fox just a short distance in front of me in that typical “fixed stare and evaluate the risk” stance. By the time that I had reacted, it decided that there was indeed a risk and it quickly ran away and disappeared from view. Yet another photo opportunity missed.

In addition to those seen or heard from the watchpoint, I also saw another single fly-over Sparrowhawk at the church car park and another Great Spotted Woodpecker in the western section of the cemetery plus I also heard another distantly calling Green Woodpecker from the church car park. I saw 2 more Grey Squirrels: 1 in the trees bordering the western section of the cemetery and 1 in trees around the edge of the church car park.

Before going home, I decided to return to the watchpoint and try again for Red Fox. After another 30 minutes, I gave up only to turn round and see a Red Fox running through the wooded area and crossing the short track that led me back to the wooded clearing. Yet another photo opportunity missed.

After again negotiating the very wet and muddy track, I had a quick scan of the scrubland behind Larkins Tyres and picked up a noisy group of c.5 House Sparrows and c.10 Starlings.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin 
Dunnock
Wren
Redwing
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Goldcrest
Goldfinch
House Sparrow
Starling
Sparrowhawk
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Reeves’ Muntjac
Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:














Photo: Dunnock














Photo: Robin













Photo: Wren














Photo: Blackbird














Photo: Grey Squirrel














Photo: Grey Squirrel













Photo: Grey Squirrel














Photo: Grey Squirrel














Photo: Grey Squirrel














Photo: Grey Squirrel


















































































Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 51  (25)
Mammals = 6  (3)
Butterflies = 21  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


1 comment:

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.