Tuesday 9 February 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 9th February 2021

Date: 9th February 2021

Time: from 10:15 a.m.

Weather: light snow, grey and cloudy, light wind, 0°C

Following yesterday’s very short visit to the site, I had a much longer visit this morning.

Whilst it was still lightly snowing and with much lying and accumulating snow, it actually felt a little warmer given that the temperature had increased to 0°C and it was less windy.

It also proved to be a much more productive visit than yesterday with some notable highlights.

Firstly, I added 2 species to my year site list: a Common Buzzard being persistently mobbed by 2 Carrion Crows and c.10 Fieldfares briefly perched in treetops before moving on. I saw both species from my usual watchpoint whilst watching a Red Fox (see below).

Secondly, from the same location, I saw a displaying Sparrowhawk. Whilst we are now reaching the time of year when Sparrowhawk breeding displays become evident, these are usually seen on warm and sunny spring days rather than on cold and snowy days!

Other than that, the number of birds seen was very low although more than yesterday with a single calling Green Woodpecker and c.5 Redwings being the most notable.

With regard to mammals, the lying snow revealed Red Fox tracks everywhere throughout the site! I have written more about Red Fox tracks here.

As I walked back through the central section of the cemetery, I had a very brief sighting of a Red Fox before it disappeared in to the undergrowth. I then took the short track through the woodland to the fencing that provides a watchpoint to scan the field and the trees, hedges and scrub bordering it. The approach track also revealed that a Red Fox had passed the same way and then under the fence and across the field. As I reached the fence, I immediately saw a Red Fox on the far side of the field which I was able to watch and photograph for several minutes as it walked closer before finally disappearing from view.

I also saw 2 Grey Squirrels during my visit: 1 in trees bordering the churchyard and 1 scampering along telegraph wires by Laindon Park School.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin 
Redwing
Blackbird
Common Buzzard
Sparrowhawk
Green Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:  

























Photo: Red Fox

























Photo: Red Fox

























Photo: Red Fox

























Photo: Red Fox

























Photo: Red Fox tracks

























Photo: Red Fox tracks



































































































Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 51  (27)
Mammals = 6  (3)
Butterflies = 21  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.