Saturday 6 November 2021

Records from my flat - Great Spotted Woodpecker and Common Buzzard

This morning, I had 2 notable sightings from my flat.

Firstly, at 9:25 a.m., I spotted the distinctive bounding flight of a woodpecker. It landed at the top of a lopped tree beyond the houses to the rear of my flat. It was very distant and the light was also poor so it was impossible to confirm an identification although I strongly suspected a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

I took a number of photos and by zooming in on these on the rear of my camera, I could see that the bird was indeed a Great Spotted Woodpecker and also a male of that species given the red patch on the back of the head. Here is a cropped photo of what was a very distant bird plus an even tighter crop ....
















At 11:35 a.m., whilst watching the build-up to the Manchester derby (which turned out to be yet another miserable day for United supporters), I saw a Common Buzzard from the front window of my flat. Normally when I see this species, birds are either soaring above the wooded area towards St. Nicholas Church or flying slowly through. However, today, there was a strong wind and the bird flew through very quickly from south to north.

I last saw a Common Buzzard from my flat on 17th September 2021 and this morning's record takes my 2021 total records from my flat to 11 dates involving 13 birds.

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.