Thursday 25 November 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 25th November 2021

Date: 25th November 2021

Time: from 8:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, moderate wind, 3°C to 4°C

It was a very similar morning to my last visit 4 days ago .... sunny and very cold given the significant wind chill. It is getting close to the point where the woolly hat and gloves come out of hibernation!

I had another good encounter with the Red Foxes this morning and I was able to take several photos.

Having accessed the site via the track from Larkins Tyres, I initially spent some time watching the field, scrub, hedges and trees at the north of the site. I didn’t have long to wait for a Red Fox to emerge from the hedge at the far side of the field and make its way slowly along the edge. It then disappeared in to the hedge again before re-emerging much further along and closer to me where it sat for several minutes.

On my way back home, I decided to take a look from the same location again. The same or possibly another Red Fox appeared suddenly over to the far right of the field. It continued to walk slowly in to the field before turning round and walking off out of sight.

I again recorded a low number of bird species (15) but there were some notable records.

As soon as I arrived on site by Larkins Tyres, I was alerted to calling Carrion Crows and looking up I saw 2 of these birds harassing and mobbing a Common Buzzard.

Whilst watching the Red Foxes, I saw a female Sparrowhawk slowly flying through in a north westerly direction. From the same location, I also heard a Goldcrest continually calling for around 10 minutes close by although unfortunately I failed to see it. This was my first Goldcrest record for the autumn/winter and large numbers of this tiny bird arrive in the UK from October. In addition from this location, I saw 3 small thrushes flying through very distantly which were probably Redwings.

As on my last visit, there was a group of very active and noisy Starlings in the scrub area and hedges behind Larkins Tyres and the number seems to have increased to around c.75. 

Finally, I saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker flying through the eastern section of the cemetery, beyond the church and out of sight. However, a few minutes later, I did see a Great Spotted Woodpecker perched at the top of a dead tree in the western section of the cemetery which I assume was the same bird.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Goldcrest
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Blackbird
Redwing (possible)
House Sparrow
Starling
Common Buzzard
Sparrowhawk
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull

Red Fox

Here are some photos from my visit:




























Photo: Red Fox




























Photo: Red Fox




























Photo: Red Fox




























Photo: Red Fox




























Photo: Red Fox




























Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Great Tit




























Photo: Carrion Crow




























Photo: Carrion Crow





























Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 54  (43)
Mammals = 6  (5)
Butterflies = 21  (14)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (2)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.