Tuesday 2 November 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 2nd November 2021

Date: 2nd November 2021

Time: from 7:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 4°C to 5°C

It was another beautiful sunny autumnal morning for my visit although it was very cold with ground frost evident in some sheltered areas.

During my last visit, I failed to record any Red FoxesGrey Squirrels or Reeves’ Muntjacs. It is extremely unusual not to record any mammals at all but during this visit I recorded both Red Fox and Grey Squirrel.

In fact, this was my probably my best encounter with Red Foxes this year. 

For some time now, my best sightings of Red Fox have been in the eastern section of the cemetery. This morning, I sat and waited in a position that provided an opportunity to scan much of this area. After about 20 minutes, I decided to leave as I was getting very cold just sitting still. I had one final scan and then noticed a Red Fox watching me from the bushes and trees bordering the cemetery. I managed to get a few photos before it turned round and disappeared.
















After this sighting, I took a slow walk round to St. Nicholas Church, taking a few photos of the autumn colours and of the church itself. After taking my photo of church, I noticed a Red Fox staring back at me from the edge of the car park but unfortunately I was too slow to get a photo of this animal as it bolted behind the storage shed.

On my way home, I took the opportunity to scan the field bordered by trees, hedges and bushes at the northern edge of the site. I have had some success in the past at this location with Red Fox sightings and photography but not for some time.

Within 5 minutes of arriving at my usual watchpoint in the wooded area at the edge of the field, I saw the head of a Red Fox appear on the other side just beyond the large oak tree. This was quickly followed by another in close proximity. Both animals fully emerged and slowly made their way around the edge of the field following the line of hedges and bushes. One of the animals was clearly a dog Red Fox and I believe that from the size and shape the other was a vixen. Both very clearly comfortable in each other’s company so they may have been either a paired adult dog and vixen or 2 sub-adults (this year’s cubs).

Eventually both Red Foxes disappeared in to the hedges and bushes on the far side of the field although within a few minutes they re-emerged slightly further away. What I believe was the dog Red Fox disappeared from view very quickly but the presumed vixen starting walking slowly back across the field towards me before it also disappeared at the point where I had seen it first emerge.

This encounter over 30 minutes or so enabled me to get many photos and I have posted these separately here.

My sightings of Grey Squirrel were much less exciting. I saw 2 individuals, the first in the western section of the cemetery foraging on the ground and the second in the trees bordering the church car park.

It continues to be relatively quiet with regard to birds and I only recorded 11 species. The only bird record of note was Green Woodpecker, the first seen in the western section of the cemetery foraging on the ground before flying off in to the trees and another seen flying and calling as it flew over the field whilst I was watching the Red Foxes.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Blackbird
Green Woodpecker
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:





















































Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 54  (43)
Mammals = 6  (5)
Butterflies = 21  (14)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (2)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.