Thursday 30 July 2020

Evening visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 30th July 2020

Date: 30th July 2020

Time: from 9:00 p.m.

Weather: dry, setting sun, dark, 23°C

Following the amazing experience with the Badgers last night, I again visited St. Nicholas Church for the third successive evening, primarily with the purpose of watching both them and Red Foxes. It was another memorable encounter.

When I arrived at St. Nicholas Church, I immediately saw my first Red Fox standing in the road towards the bottom of Church Hill towards St. Nicholas Lane. I was unable to deduce whether it was an adult or a cub but I think the latter.

Before settling down to wait and watch, I again placed some dog biscuits on the white concrete block at the edge of the church car park for the Red Foxes and then scattered some Chappie dog food and some peanuts around one of the entrances/exits where I have seen the Badgers emerge.

In the 20 minutes or so that I spent before moving location to watch the Badgers, I saw 3 Red Foxes, although possibly not different individuals, on the grassy strip that runs parallel to Church Hill down to St. Nicholas Lane. I think all sightings were of a cub or cubs. This was definitely more productive than last night when this area was continuously disturbed by people walking.

At 9:30 p.m., I moved to my Badger watching location and at 9:45 p.m. (15 minutes later than last night) I saw the first distinctive black and white head of a Badger at the bottom of the hedge where I had again scattered food. It very tentatively emerged and started to eat. It was then followed a few minutes later by 2 other Badgers. One of them moved back in to the hedge quite quickly but the other 2 continued to feed close together for the next 25 minutes. Like last night, they approached closer and closer to me (well within 15 feet) following the trail of peanuts that I had laid and I could easily hear them eating.

Eventually the Badgers returned to the hedge, presumably having eaten everything that I had left for them.

It was quite noticeable that tonight the Badgers were much more nervous and they often stopped eating to sniff the air. There were also a few occasions where they scampered back to the safety of the hedge although they quickly found their confidence again. Badgers have poor eyesight but an excellent sense of smell. I think what happened tonight was that they sensed my presence without actually seeing me. Unlike the last 2 nights when the very light wind was from the west and therefore blowing away from me, tonight it was from the east although again very light.  

After the Badgers had disappeared, I quietly left my watching location. I immediately noticed a Red Fox cub eating the dog biscuits from the white concrete block and also a Reeves' Muntjac slowly crossing Church Hill totally unconcerned by a car approaching it.

Before leaving for home, I scattered some more dog biscuits on the white concrete block for the Red Foxes.

With regard to birds, as on my previous visit, I heard a Song Thrush singing from the top of Church Hill and a Robin briefly alarm calling. In addition, I saw 2 Woodpigeons. However, tonight I additionally saw small groups of fly-over gulls (presumably Herring Gull or Lesser Black-backed Gull) flying east towards Pipps Hill. I see them regularly in the evenings from my flat and I suspect that they are probably roosting on the warehouse roofs.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Badger
Red Fox
Reeves' Muntjac

Song Thrush
Robin
Woodpigeon
Gull sp.

Site totals to date
Birds = 48
Mammals = 6
Butterflies = 20
Dragonflies and damselflies = 6
Reptiles = 1

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.