Thursday 9 July 2020

Common Buzzard seen from the non-lockdown window

On 24th June 2020 I made a decision to cease recording sightings on a daily basis from what is no longer a lockdown window.

However, I also said that I would continue to post any interesting sightings as and when they arise.

So today there was one ðŸ˜€ .... an interesting sighting ðŸ˜€.

At midday, I saw a large bird flapping and gliding slightly lazily and heading away from the flats in a westward direction. It was a Common Buzzard. If I had been in my kitchen making my cheese on toast lunch, I would have missed it ðŸ˜€.

Compared with when I first started birding, when Common Buzzards were mainly found in upland areas in the west and north of the UK, I now see this bird of prey on a regular basis in Essex and other parts of East Anglia following their significant range expansion.

I have also seen a Common Buzzard from my flat window before on a single occasion in the past but nonetheless today's sighting was an exciting one.

By the time I had identified it, the Common Buzzard was too distant for a photo but even if it was closer the poor light and tail end view as it flew away would not have resulted in a good outcome. Therefore, here are a few of my more successful photos of Common Buzzard, all of which were taken far away from the SS15 postcode area ðŸ˜€.









Photo: Common Buzzard at Ardbeg, Islay, Argyll 

Photo: Common Buzzard at Loch Gruinart, Islay, Argyll 

Photo: Common Buzzard at Loch Scridain, Mull, Argyll



Photo: Common Buzzard at Loch Buie, Mull, Argyll

Photo: Common Buzzard at Elan Valley, Powys

Photo: Common Buzzard at Gigrin Farm, Rhayader, Powys

Photo: Common Buzzard at Gigrin Farm, Rhayader, Powys

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.