Monday 20 July 2020

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 20th July 2020

Date: 20th July 2020

Time: from 10:00 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 15°C to 21°C

I had another excellent visit this morning, again mainly due to the sightings of butterflies and dragonflies but also due to some notable bird sightings.

During this visit, I recorded 10 species of butterfly: Common Blue (3), Peacock (2), Ringlet (c.5), Gatekeeper (c.45), Comma (1), Large Skipper (1), Speckled Wood (4), Meadow Brown (3), Small White (c.15), Large White (1)

This was my first record of Common Blue for the site taking my butterfly list for the site to 17 species.

In addition to recording total butterfly numbers, I also recorded sightings over 15 minute periods at 2 separate locations within the site and submitted these to the Big Butterfly Count organised by Butterfly Conservation.

During this visit, I recorded 2 species of dragonfly: Black-tailed Skimmer (2), Ruddy Darter (at least 1 female). I also saw 3 other darters (2 red males and a 1 yellow-brown female) but was unable to specifically identify them as Common Darters or Ruddy Darters.

With regard to birds, it was again predictably very quiet and the species list was relatively short.

However, 2 fly-over Black-headed Gulls were my first record for the site bringing my site total for bird species to 35.

In addition, I saw a male Bullfinch (my second record for the site) and a male Greenfinch (my third record for the site). I initially heard both birds calling before seeing them, the former in the bushes at the end of the boardwalk and the latter not far away in the bushes around Meadow Pond.

As on my last visit, I neither heard or saw any Blackcaps but I did hear a Chiffchaff giving its soft whistled contact call before it briefly showed itself.

I also heard 2 calling Green Woodpeckers but failed to see either of them.

Finally, I saw a single Grey Squirrel by the steps up to the boundary track and the bridge over the A127.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Wren
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Bullfinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Green Woodpecker
Jay
Woodpigeon
Magpie
Black-headed Gull

Grey Squirrel

Common Blue
Peacock
Ringlet
Gatekeeper
Comma
Large Skipper
Speckled Wood
Meadow Brown
Small White
Large White

Ruddy Darter
Black-tailed Skimmer

Here are some photos from my visit:


























Photo: male Common Blue


























Photo: female Common Blue


























Photo: Peacock

Photo: Gatekeeper

Photo: Gatekeeper


























Photo: Gatekeeper


Photo: Black-tailed Skimmer


Photo: female Ruddy Darter

























Photo: female Ruddy Darter




Photo: Cinnabar Moth caterpillar

Photo: Cinnabar Moth caterpillar


























Photo: Common Red Soldier Beetle

Site totals to date:
Birds = 35
Mammals = 2
Butterflies= 17
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.