Thursday 16 July 2020

Good news! .... wild European Bison to return to UK for first time in 6000 years

In my blog post on 17th May 2020, I commented on the amazing conservation and re-introduction success story that is the White Stork Project and the Knepp Estate in Sussex.

There is now more good news as confirmed by the Kent Wildlife Trust and the Wildwood Trust on 10th July 2020.

These partners have received more than £1 million from the People’s Postcode Lottery to fund the ground-breaking "Wilder Blean" project which includes the re-introduction of European Bison to the UK.

Led by Kent Wildlife Trust and the Wildwood Trust, the “Wilder Blean” project will take place in Blean Woods near Canterbury where it aims to restore the ecosystem of the area’s renowned ancient woodlands.





The “Wilder Blean” project was featured on BBC Countryfile on 12th July 2020.

More information on this exciting project also appeared in The Guardian and The Independent.

The European Bison is the continent’s largest land mammal and the species is known as a “keystone species” and “ecosystem engineer” because of its ability to create and improve habitats for other species.

I have been fortunate enough to see European Bison on 2 trips to the Białowieża Forest in north east Poland in May 2013 and in January 2019. I managed to get some photos on my first trip but I lost the photos of European Bison in the snow on my second trip due to the memory card being corrupted (I was not happy!). Here are some photos from my first trip to the Białowieża Forest ....


























I have been a member of the Essex Wildlife Trust for many years but I can’t see European Bison coming to my County any time soon .... unless these mighty beasts gallop up the M2, along the M25 and through the Dartford Tunnel 😀

At least in Essex we have Eurasian Beavers, another “keystone species” and “ecosystem engineer”, at Spains Hall in Finchingfield. In July 2020, it was confirmed that 2 kits had been born to the released pair at Spains Hall, the first time that Eurasian Beavers have been born in Essex since the Middle AgesEurasian Beavers were hunted to extinction in the UK by the beginning of the 16th century due to the demand for their meat, fur and scent glands (castoreum).

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.