Monday 20 July 2020

Red Foxes seen from the non-lockdown window

On 24th June 2020 I made a decision to cease recording sightings on a daily basis from what is no longer a lockdown window.

However, I also said that I would continue to post any interesting sightings as and when they arise.

I see Red Foxes from my flat on a reasonably regular basis, the most recent being on 5th July 2020.

Yesterday and today, I had 2 sightings of Red Fox in quick succession, both of which I think were adults, unlike the 2 cubs seen last time.

At 7:45 p.m. yesterday, I was watching the dismal performance of Manchester United against Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final on TV and I got up to throw myself out of my flat window in despair .... I stress not literally before anyone calls the emergency services 😀.

As I looked out, I saw a Red Fox standing in the grassy track that runs from the edge of Czarina Rise up in to the woodland. It was staring back in to Czarina Rise and it quickly became apparent what it was staring at. One of the local cats, a large ginger one, was staring back intently.

A "ginger on ginger" attack was possible 😀.

I have no idea how long this stand-off had been going on but it continued for around 3 minutes whilst I was watching (nothing worth seeing on the TV 😀) before the Red Fox turned round and walked slowly back up the track and in to the woodland.

Red Foxes and cats regularly interact but only to the extent of showing mutual respect or perhaps mutual disrespect. Staring at each other or just ignoring one another is believed to be far more likely than any violent physical engagement.

At 7:15 a.m. this morning, I heard the intense and continuous alarm calling of Magpies which is always a good indicator of the presence of a mammalian or avian predator in close proximity.

I again looked out of the window to see a Red Fox casually trotting down Czarina Rise towards Basildon Road.

So …. 2 sightings of Red Fox in quick succession …. but unfortunately no record photos since my camera was not readily to hand.

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.