Wednesday 1 July 2020

Red Foxes at St. Nicholas Church

This was my first visit to the St. Nicholas Church area to watch the Red Foxes in almost a week.

Within 15 minutes of arriving at my usual location along the hedgeline, I heard movement from within the hedge very close to me. Almost immediately, the vixen emerged only about 10 feet in front of me and trotted away seemingly totally unaware of my presence.

That was an excellent start and I thought I was in for a good watching/photography session. However, it was all downhill from then on and overall this proved to be a disappointing 2 hour visit.

Some time later I heard some vocalisation from the cubs accompanied by the warning calls of the local corvid community. Full alert .... camera ready …. nothing!

A cub did emerge briefly from the hedge at one point during my visit but I was fortunate to spot it as it sat in probably the tallest and densest patch of grass possible. This provided my one and only photo of the visit.

This is a cub …. honest ðŸ˜€



Now, I thought we had a deal …. I will bring the Wagg dog biscuits and you will pose nicely for photos.

Someone has reneged on that deal and it isn’t me ðŸ˜€.

After sort of seeing a cub, there were 3 other short spells of excited cub vocalisation during my visit, one of which was particularly close and loud, but none were followed by any of the cubs showing themselves.

It is quite evident from my last few visits that the cubs have gone from the stage at a very young age where they are wary but curious to being just ultra-wary as they grow in to adults. Given the centuries old persecution of the Red Fox by (in)human beings, that is all part of their natural development and who can blame them.

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.