Tuesday 28 July 2020

Red Foxes at St. Nicholas Church

On my last visit on 21st July 2020, I watched the Red Foxes from a new vantage point that gave me a view down the grassy strip that runs parallel to Church Hill down to St. Nicholas Lane plus additionally a view of the church car park.

However, whilst that provided many more views of the Red Foxes, achieving good quality photos was more difficult due to the distance involved.

I therefore tried 2 closer locations this morning which again gave me views of where the Red Foxes are most active. At these locations, I used a tree and some bushes as cover to try and break up my outline.

Again, I was successful in seeing Red Foxes with several sightings of the cubs (2 together on a single occasion) plus the vixen and possibly a dog over a period of 30 minutes from 7 a.m.

However, the opportunities for good quality photos remains challenging. The Red Foxes that I saw were either obscured by vegetation, sitting or moving in poorly lit areas or just too fast for me .... none of which results in good photos!

Here are some of the record photos that I took, firstly of one of the cubs ....



























Secondly, here is a better photo of what I believe is a dog Red Fox. The broader “W” shaped head profile (rather than the slimmer “V” shaped head profile of a vixen) suggests a dog.

In addition, this animal seemed far more confident to stand and stare whereas the vixen and cubs usually run off or bolt for cover if they see me. It is definitely far thicker set in the body than the cubs which still appear quite slim with ears that seem slightly too big in proportion to the head.

I am not sure if I have seen this Red Fox before and it does seem to have part of its left ear missing which is characteristic and something to look out for in future.





















Before I left the site, I again had a quick look around the entrance/exit in the hedgerow that the Red Foxes use. The chewed up tennis ball is now half a chewed up tennis ball 😀. The golf ball was still in the same place around the entrance/exit.

























Site totals to date

Birds = 48
Mammals = 6
Butterflies = 20
Dragonflies and damselflies = 6
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.