Tuesday 21 July 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 21st July 2020

Date: 21st July 2020

Time: from 6:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 11°C to 16°C

As on all my early morning visits, I spent some time watching the Red Foxes. I have written a separate dedicated blog post here

After watching the Red Foxes, I tried finding and photographing some butterflies. This was a little more difficult than in recent days since the temperature was much cooler. Other than the abundant Gatekeeper, the number of butterflies was generally low.

However, I still recorded 7 species of butterfly: Common Blue (1 female), Small Copper (2), Marbled White (1), Red Admiral (2), Small Skipper (1), Gatekeeper (c.40), Meadow Brown (2)

My record of Common Blue was my first for the site for the year.

With regard to birds, I saw both a male and a red-headed female Blackcap foraging in the bushes around the edge of the church car park plus I heard 3 male Blackcaps singing briefly at various locations around the site. In addition, I heard 2 Chiffchaffs giving their soft whistled contact call but failed to see them.

Whilst watching the Red Foxes, I heard a Green Woodpecker calling on several occasions and it finally revealed itself clinging to the top of one of the high trees that border Church Hill. I also heard a calling Great Spotted Woodpecker in the western section of the cemetery but failed to see it.

I regularly see both Herring Gull and Lesser Black-backed Gull flying over the site but Black-headed Gull only occasionally. However, on today’s visit, I did see a single Black-headed Gull fly over as I watched the Red Foxes.

Today was the first time in many recent visits that I failed to hear or see a Swift. Surely it is still a bit early for these birds to have moved on and started their migration south?

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Goldfinch
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Black-headed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull

Red Fox

Common Blue
Small Copper
Marbled White
Red Admiral
Small Skipper
Gatekeeper
Meadow Brown

Here are some photos from my visit:

























Photo: female Common Blue


























Photo: Small Copper

Photo: Small Copper

Photo: Small Copper

Photo: Small Copper


Photo: Small Copper

























Photo: Small Copper

Photo: Small Skipper


























Photo: Small Skipper

Photo: Red Admiral

Photo: Red Admiral

Photo: Red Admiral

Photo: Red Admiral

Photo: Red Admiral


























Photo: Red Admiral

Photo: Gatekeeper

























Photo: Gatekeeper


























Photo: Hornet Mimic Hoverfly

Photo: Rosebay Willowherb

Photo: Common Ragwort

























Photo: Common Ragwort

Photo: Blackberries

Photo: Blackberries



Photo: Blackberries

Photo: Honeysuckle


Photo: Honeysuckle

Site totals to date:

Birds = 48
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 20
Dragonflies and damselflies = 6
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.