Wednesday 12 August 2020

Red Foxes at St. Nicholas Church

It is now impossible to settle down at a specific location to watch the Red Foxes since they are ranging over a large area and can turn up anywhere.

On this visit to the site, I noticed a Red Fox cub slowly crossing the church car park at 6:40 a.m. and it was quickly joined by one of its siblings which I think emerged from the perimeter hedge. There was some brief play fighting between them before they spotted me, stood and stared for a second before deciding to run off.

Between 6:45 a.m. and 7:15 a.m., I saw a Red Fox in the grassy strip that runs parallel to Church Hill down to St. Nicholas Lane on 3 occasions. This may or may not have been the same individual and it was difficult to determine whether it was an adult or a cub. On one of the occasions, the Red Fox was sitting still and quite obviously panting due to the heat, something that I do not recall seeing before but clearly they will behave no differently to domestic dogs.

At 7:35 a.m., I was walking in the area where I used to sit and wait for Red Foxes to appear. As I did so, I heard a distinctive sneezing noise and a Red Fox cub trotted in to view. It is clear that I am not the only person who suffers from hay fever 😀.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get any photos today, not even blurry record shots.

Site totals to date:

Birds = 49
Mammals = 6
Butterflies = 20
Dragonflies and damselflies = 6
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.