Monday 3 August 2020

Evening visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 3rd August 2020

Date: 3rd August 2020

Time: from 9:00 p.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy, dark, 17°C

On my last visit on 1st August 2020, I failed to see any Badgers which was extremely disappointing after the 2 memorable encounters on 29th July 2020 and 30th July 2020.

My visit tonight again had the primary purpose of watching Badgers and Red Foxes although again I failed to see any Badgers and the sightings of Red Foxes were also much reduced.

As I approached the location where I scatter food for the Badgers, I momentarily noticed the head of a Red Fox peering out of the bottom of the hedge where the Badgers emerge. However, it quickly did a reverse and disappeared back in to the hedge.

All of the food that I had left for the Badgers on my last visit had gone. I know that they like peanuts but evidently the chopped apple and carrot that I had left was also enjoyed. It is a shame that their appreciation did not extend to actually coming out to feed when I was watching the area 😀.

After scattering some more food for the Badgers at the same location, I quickly saw my first Red Fox at 9:05 p.m. as it ran across the grassy strip that runs parallel to Church Hill down to St. Nicholas Lane although it was difficult to deduce if it was an adult or a cub.

However, I saw another, or the same, Red Fox arrive on the grassy strip a few minutes later and it continued to walk around the area slowly, presumably hunting or foraging for food. This individual was definitely one of the cubs.

From 9:15 p.m., I sat in my usual position and watched and waited for the Badgers to emerge. I watched and waited for an hour but there was no sign, not even a rustle from within the hedge which normally precedes a Badger appearing.

During the long and fruitless wait for the slightest hint of a black and white Badger snout, I did hear the frequent sounds of “geckering” Red Foxes from various locations.

I also reflected on how noisy our modern world is. Although the immediate environment around where I was sitting was very quiet, there was a constant background noise of cars, not to mention planes flying overheard, car alarms, emergency vehicle sirens, barking dogs and the constant shrieking and screaming of a young girl.

What an assault on the aural senses, not least for a Badger with its acute sense of hearing. If I was a Badger, I think I would be an almost permanent resident of an underground sett and using either earplugs or headphones to listen to relaxing classical music 😀.





















At 10:30 p.m., I gave up on waiting for the appearance of any Badgers and walked down to the church car park to place some dog biscuits on the white concrete block for the Red Foxes. I waited for about 15 minutes but, despite all the previous vocalisation, no Red Foxes appeared before I left the site and returned home.

With regard to birds, I only heard a Robin and a Blackbird, both alarm calling, plus a very briefly singing Song Thrush.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Red Fox

Robin
Blackbird
Song Thrush

Site totals to date
Birds = 48
Mammals = 6
Butterflies = 20
Dragonflies and damselflies = 6
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.