Thursday 27 August 2020

Common Buzzard seen from the non-lockdown window (again)

On 24th June 2020 I made a decision to cease recording sightings on a daily basis from what is no longer a lockdown window.

However, I also said that I would continue to post any interesting sightings as and when they arise.

After seeing a single Common Buzzard from my flat window on 9th July 2020 and 8th August 2020, I had a further sighting today.

At 1:50 p.m., I heard the distinctive “mewing” flight call of a Common Buzzard.


However, on this occasion, I saw 2 birds flying together in a south westerly direction past my block of flats. The Common Buzzard, like the majority of birds of prey, shows sexual dimorphism in terms of size: the females are larger than the males. The 2 birds that I saw today did appear to show a difference in size so they are likely to have been a male and a female.

As I wrote in my previous blog posts, compared with when I first started birding, when Common Buzzards were mainly found in upland areas in the west and north of the UK, I now see this bird of prey on a regular basis in Essex and other parts of East Anglia following their significant range expansion.

These were my 4th and 5th record of 
Common Buzzard from my flat window.

Flat window recording continued with 2 Swallows at 3:05 p.m. flying in a southerly direction and presumably heading off towards their wintering range in South Africa.

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.