Wednesday 12 August 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 12th August 2020

Date: 12th August 2020

Time: from 6:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, hazy sunshine, light wind, 20°C to 24°C

Today is the "Glorious Twelfth" .... but see here.

It looked distinctly autumnal when I got up with the sun struggling to break through a misty dawn.

However, a temperature of 20°C and high humidity at 6 a.m. quickly reminded me that the August heatwave was still ongoing.

The mist cleared quickly to be replaced by hazy sunshine and the temperature had already soared to 24°C by 9 a.m.

This was my first daytime visit to the site in a week and I had no specific intention of watching and photographing Red Foxes. However, it proved to be successful, at least in respect of seeing them. I have written a dedicated blog post here.

With regard to birds, it continues to be exceptionally quiet with few birds seen and only sporadic singing and calling and as such there is again a relatively short list of species recorded.

Compared with recent weeks, there was much more evidence of Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs today. I heard at least 5 Blackcaps at various locations although none were singing but instead giving their distinctive harsh alarm call. I saw 1 Chiffchaff and heard 2 others, all birds giving their soft whistled contact call.

I also had a surprising but not totally unexpected sighting of another summer migrant. I heard a calling Swallow and then eventually saw it flying (north!) over St. Nicholas Church at a great height.

I heard a single calling Green Woodpecker and later in a different location, I had an extended view of a juvenile foraging on the ground.

In addition, I heard 2 calling 
Great Spotted Woodpeckers at different locations around the site.

Despite the temperature, the diversity and number of butterflies was disappointing and I only managed to record 2 species: Common Blue (1), Gatekeeper (20+)

Finally, I saw 3 individual Grey Squirrels, the highest number on a visit for several months.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Swallow
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
Goldfinch
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Common Blue
Gatekeeper

Here are some photos from my visit:


Photo: Gatekeeper 

























Photo: Gatekeeper 



























Photo: Gatekeeper 

Photo: Blackberries

Photo: Blackberries

Photo: Honeysuckle

Photo: Rosebay Willowherb
























Photo: Cornflowers

Site totals to date:

Birds = 49
Mammals = 6
Butterflies = 20
Dragonflies and damselflies = 6
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.