Friday 5 May 2023

Trip away from SS15 - Danbury Common

As part of the Essex Birdwatching Society Big County BirdwatchI had an early morning visit to Danbury Common today.

On the way to Chelmsford on the bus, I saw 3 pairs of Swallows on the wires outside Barleylands.

Danbury Common is a 70.2 hectare Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) located near the village of Danbury in mid-Essex. Most of it is common land owned by the National Trust whilst 2 areas areas, the Backwarden and Hitchcock's Meadows, are part of the Essex Wildlife Trust's Danbury Ridge Nature Reserves. The site is one of the largest areas of heathland left in Essex and it also includes bracken and gorse scrub and oak and birch woodland. It is criss-crossed by many tracks and paths providing easy access.


The main target species during my visit was Nightingale. I was not disappointed. I heard my first singing male as I approached the main car park. In total, I heard 7 singing males, of which I had a very brief view of one bird but an extended view of another bird which I was able to photograph and sound record ….






























Photo: male Nightingale




























Photo: male Nightingale


Photo: male Nightingale





























Photo: male Nightingale




























Photo: male Nightingale




























Photo: male Nightingale





























Photo: male Nightingale


In addition to the usual common woodland and countryside birds, other notable records during my visit included the following: Common Whitethroat (5 singing males seen, 1 other singing male heard and 2 other birds seen), Lesser Whitethroat (1 singing male heard), Blackcap (2 singing males seen and at least 3 other singing males heard), Chiffchaff (1 singing male seen and at least 4 other singing males heard), Linnet (4), Greenfinch (1 female), Great Spotted Woodpecker (1), Green Woodpecker (1 heard calling), Jay (1), Stock Dove (1 heard calling)


I also saw a Reeves’ Muntjac (being chased by a dog due to its ignorant owner!) plus I heard another “barking”.





























Photo: male Common Whitethroat



























Photo: male Common Whitethroat



























Photo: male Common Whitethroat




























Photo: male Common Whitethroat



























Photo: Jay

Here are some of my other photos from Danbury Common including Bluebells, Wood Anemone, Greater Stitchwort and Gorse, all of which were present in abundance.











































































































































































































































#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.