Tuesday 16 May 2023

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 16th May 2023

Date: 16th May 2023

Time: from 6:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 7°C to 12°C

Having discovered Red Fox cubs on my last visit on 11th May 2023, my main hope, and even expectation, was to watch and photograph these animals again. However, this time I went prepared with some dog food and dog biscuits!

As I arrived at the location, I immediately saw a Red Fox cub run through the long grass and in to the hedge. This was a repeat of my initial encounter on 11th May 2023 so very encouraging.

I scattered the food at the front of the hedge and then settled down to wait off to the side. My photos on 11th May 2023 were taken looking straight at the hedge line so I wanted to get another perspective.

I waited for almost an hour before a vixen Red Fox emerged from the hedge probably less than 15 feet away from me. She was not aware of my presence and she was quickly joined by 2 cubs who came bounding out and interacted with her. The vixen then spotted me and her typical alarm bark sent the cubs bolting for cover.

The vixen Red Fox moved slowly off and disappeared but 2 cubs emerged again after around 10 minutes and proceeded to eat the food that I had scattered. This provided me with numerous photo opportunities and my location enabled me to get even better photos than those achieved on 11th May 2023.

Photo: Red Fox cub





























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub




























Photo: Red Fox cub

I didn’t walk around the rest of the site and keep a complete record list but whilst waiting for the intermittent appearances of the Red Fox cubs, I saw a single male Orange Tip, my first record for 2023 for the site.




























Photo: male Orange Tip

In addition, I saw a singing male Common Whitethroat in the bushes next to Larkins Tyres and heard another in the cemetery from the church. From the church, I also heard a single singing male Chiffchaff, a singing male Blackcap, a single calling Green Woodpecker and a single calling Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Common Whitethroat
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker

Red Fox

Orange Tip

Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 39  (45)
Mammals = 3  (5)
Butterflies = 2  (17)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (7)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 62
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 23
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.