Monday 29 May 2023

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 29th May 2023

Date: 29th May 2023

Time: from 6 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 9°C to 12°C

I have had a varying experience and success in watching and photographing a Red Fox vixen and cubs at St. Nicholas Church this month.

11th May 2023

16th May 2023

20th May 2023

24th May 2023

28th May 2023

I had another visit to the site this morning with the main focus again being the Red Foxes.

As I began to walk up Church Hill, I heard what I believe was the vocalisation of Red Fox cubs in the wooded area to the left of the road although it was impossible to see anything in the dense vegetation.

On arriving at my usual location for watching and photographing Red Foxes, and as on my previous visits, I scattered some dog food and dog biscuits at the front of the hedge and then settled down to wait off to the side in my bag hide.

When I have been successful previously, I had to wait anything up to an hour for the Red Fox vixen or the cubs to appear. However, this morning, the vixen appeared almost immediately and I was able to watch and photograph her on several occasions over the next hour or so.















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

I didn’t walk around the rest of the site and keep a complete record list but I did hear a singing male Chiffchaff, 3 singing male Blackcaps, a single calling Great Spotted Woodpecker and a single calling Green Woodpecker.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):


Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker

Red Fox

Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 39  (45)
Mammals = 3  (5)
Butterflies = 2  (17)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (7)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 62
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 23
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.