Saturday 20 May 2023

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 20th May 2023

Date: 20th May 2023

Time: from 6:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 7°C to 12°C

After my successful last visit on 16th May 2023, I again visited the same location this morning to watch and photograph the Red Fox cubs.

As on my last visit on 16th May 2023, I scattered some dog food and dog biscuits at the front of the hedge and then settled down to wait off to the side.

I waited for around 30 minutes before a vixen Red Fox very briefly appeared from the hedge but immediately returned to cover. However, over the next hour or so, she emerged on several occasions to eat the food.

Unfortunately, I failed to see any of the Red Fox cubs on this visit.















Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

As I left the location near the church, I saw another Red Fox crossing Church Hill.

I didn’t walk around the rest of the site and keep a complete record list but whilst waiting for the intermittent appearances of the Red Foxes, I saw both a banded snail species and a Blue Tit which I was able to photograph.















Photo: banded snail species

Photo: Blue Tit

In addition, I again saw the singing male Common Whitethroat in the bushes next to Larkins Tyres and again heard another in the cemetery from the church. From the church, I also heard 2 singing male Chiffchaffs, 2 singing male Blackcaps, a single calling Great Spotted Woodpecker and a calling fly-over Greenfinch and Goldfinches.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Common Whitethroat
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Blue Tit

Red Fox

Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 39  (45)
Mammals = 3  (5)
Butterflies = 2  (17)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (7)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 62
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 23
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.