Tuesday 10 November 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 10th November 2020

Date: 10th November 2020

Time: from 9:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny/cloudy, light wind, 12°C to 14°C

The forecast was for a grey and cloudy day so I had not planned to go out. However, by 9:15 a.m., it was already becoming quite sunny so I quickly gathered my things together and donned my outdoor gear.

I accessed the site, as I usually do now, along the track from Larkins Tyres. On recent visits, a viewing point watching over the field at the northern edge of the site approached along the track and wooded area from Larkins Tyres has proved to be successful.

It was again successful this morning and in fact I spent 2 hours watching from this viewpoint and did not visit the rest of the site.

Within a few minutes of reaching the edge of the wooded area to view the field and surrounding scrub, hedges and scattered trees, I saw a large Red Fox (presumably an adult male) with a bright white-tipped bushy tail as it emerged from a hedge on the far side of the field. It was quickly followed by another Red Fox and then by yet another! A very good start: 3 Red Foxes in quick succession.

The large Red Fox and one of the others soon disappeared out of view behind another hedge but the remaining Red Fox, which had a distinctive downward-kinked tail with no white tip, walked a short distance and then stopped. It proceeded to wash itself for several minutes before then laying down half hidden from view and evidently went to sleep.

Although I had got off to an excellent start with the Red Foxes and anticipated more sightings, that was it for the rest of the 2 hour period. The sleeping Red Fox occasionally raised it head, only to curl up and go back to sleep in the sunshine.

However, from my viewpoint, I did have some noticeable bird sightings during my stay.

Firstly, I saw 2 Chaffinches flying over which I initially located by their call. I have seen this species at the site before but not on a regular basis. This year, I have only had single records in each of May and June.

In addition, I saw at least 2 Goldcrests but there were probably more than this within a mixed flock of foraging and calling Blue Tits, Great Tits and Long-tailed Tits which moved through.

A flock of c.100 Starlings were particularly noisy throughout my stay and they occasionally took to the air in a wheeling flock.

I also heard calling Green Woodpeckers and Great Spotted Woodpeckers on several occasions and saw 2 of the former flying over. Jays were particularly active flying to and fro between the various trees and hedges.

Finally, as I was about to leave, a female Sparrowhawk flew through.

I saw 4 Grey Squirrels this morning: 2 in the wooded area approached along the track from Larkins Tyres and another 2 in and around the trees bordering the field.

However, possibly the most remarkable sighting was of a Small White. Clearly, after seeing a Pipistrelle on my evening visit to the site on 7th November 2020, some butterflies and bats are not yet convinced that summer is over!

As I left my viewpoint, the Red Fox was still curled up asleep with just the top of its head and 2 ears visible.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Goldcrest
Robin
Dunnock
Blackbird
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Starling
Sparrowhawk
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel
 
Small White

Here are some photos from my visit:

























Photo: Red Fox

























Photo: Red Fox

























Photo: Red Fox

























Photo: Red Fox

























Photo: Starlings




























Site totals to date:

Birds = 50
Mammals = 6
Butterflies = 21
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.