Saturday 21 November 2020

Is 2020 a good year for acorns?

It has already been suggested that 2020 is a good year for sloes .... see here.

It now seems likely that 2020 is also a good year (a mast year) for acorns.

What is a mast year? How and why it happens.

As with sloes, there appears to have been an abundance of acorns, along with other autumn fruits, berries and nuts, at both my local patch sites this autumn.  However, I only started visiting both sites on a regular basis from March 2020 so I do not have the experience of previous years to benchmark against.

Jays and Grey Squirrels are certainly enjoying this year's autumn crop and both are very conspicuous as they actively forage for acorns. No doubt the night shift of Badgers and Wood Mice are also taking advantage of them.






















💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.