Wednesday 25 November 2020

Black-headed Gull and Great Spotted Woodpecker seen from the non-lockdown window

On 24th June 2020 I made a decision to cease recording sightings on a daily basis from what is no longer a lockdown window (although it has resumed that status again temporarily until 2nd December 2020).

However, I also said that I would continue to post any interesting records as and when they arise.

Today I had 2 interesting records.

Firstly, a Black-headed Gull flew through. I occasionally see this species from my window but what was so interesting was it had a full chocolate-coloured head (the head is never black as it is in the Mediterranean Gull) and it certainly shouldn't be showing its summer plumage at this time of year. Was this a bird which was long overdue in reverting to its winter plumage or extremely early in adopting its summer plumage? Very strange what ever was going on!














Photo: summer plumage Black-headed Gull at Sango Bay, Sutherland














Photo: summer plumage Black-headed Gull at Blue House Farm EWT reserve, North Fambridge, Essex

























Photo: winter plumage Black-headed Gull at Walcott, Norfolk














Photo: winter plumage Black-headed Gull at Slimbridge WWT reserve, Gloucestershire

Secondly, I saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker fly over and land and cling to the very tall tree away to the south west. I have seen this species before in this tree and of course I see and/or hear it on almost every visit to St. Nicholas Church and the surrounding areas, including most recently this female on 23rd November 2020:














Photo: female Great Spotted Woodpecker at St. Nicholas Church, Laindon, Essex

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.