Friday 6 November 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 6th November 2020

Date: 6th November 2020

Time: from 10:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny/hazy sunshine, moderate wind, 5°C to 10°C

I had a later visit to the site this morning since I waited for the early morning mist to lift and for the sun to emerge. As on my last visit 2 days ago, it was it was a beautiful morning with some stunning autumn colours glowing in the bright sunshine. However, it became increasingly hazy although that resulted in some interesting cloud formations.

There was a definite highlight this morning: a Common Buzzard that I saw flying slowly through from my viewing point watching over the field at the northern edge of the site approached along the track from Larkins Tyres. I have very occasionally seen this species flying over the site in recent years but remarkably I have seen 6 Common Buzzards from my flat window during the period from early July to mid September.

With regard to other birds, there were a number of highlights during my visit.

I saw a single fly-over Black-headed Gull which is surprisingly quite a rare sighting from the site, especially compared to the numerous Herring Gulls and Lesser Black-backed Gulls that I see regularly.

I heard 2 or possibly 3 Goldcrests in the eastern area of the cemetery around the oak trees and had a fleeting glimpse of a single bird.

I heard 2 loudly calling Green Woodpeckers, one in the central area of the cemetery and another in the area of the trees at the top of Church Hill, but I failed to see either.

With regard to mammals, it was another successful visit for Red Fox sightings. Given the experience on my last visit 2 days ago, I initially tried the field at the northern edge of the site approached along the track from Larkins Tyres. I did see a Red Fox from this viewing point but it was only a brief sighting of a white-tipped bushy brush disappearing in to the hedges and trees bordering the field.

I tried again at this viewing point on my return home and on this occasion I saw a very distant Red Fox. I think that was either a vixen or young male since it quickly adopted a submissive posture when a larger dog Red Fox appeared. The smaller animal then turned around and walked off slowly whilst the larger animal approached the area where the other had been, sniffed the ground and cocked its leg. It then walked off in the direction of the other Red Fox which by this time had disappeared in to hedge.

In addition, I saw another Red Fox in the central area of the cemetery which was quietly eating something whilst being mobbed by several Magpies. I think from its appearance, this animal was one of this year’s cubs.

I saw 3 Grey Squirrels this morning: 1 in the wooded area approached along the track from Larkins Tyres and 2 together in and around the trees bordering the field where I was watching the Red Foxes.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Goldcrest
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Goldfinch
Starling
Common Buzzard
Green Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Black-headed Gull

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:
























Photo: Red Fox

























Photo: Red Fox


Photo: Red Fox

























Photo: Red Fox

























Photo: Red Fox


























Photo: Red Fox


























Photo: Red Fox

























Photo: Red Fox


























Photo: Red Fox
































Site totals to date:

Birds = 50
Mammals = 6
Butterflies = 21
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0


💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.