Sunday 29 November 2020

Blackbird heard from the non-lockdown window

On 24th June 2020 I made a decision to cease recording sightings on a daily basis from what is no longer a lockdown window (although it has resumed that status again temporarily until 2nd December 2020).

However, I also said that I would continue to post any interesting records as and when they arise.

I woke up in the middle of last night (although I am not sure what time) and I heard a Blackbird singing. I hear Blackbirds singing regularly in the spring and early summer and often see them perched up on the TV aerials of the neighbouring houses but, like most song birds, they fall silent after the breeding season and Blackbirds specifically do not normally resume singing until the end of January or early February or even as late as early March.

Therefore it was extremely unusual but pleasing to hear a singing Blackbird so early although its song was a bit disjointed compared to the well-formed melodious and fluty song so evident in spring and early summer.

I think I listened to my night-singer for about 5 minutes before I drifted back off to sleep.


























Photo: male Blackbird at Conwy RSPB reserve, Conwy, Wales

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night,
Take these broken wings and learn to fly,
All your life,
You were only waiting for this moment to arise."


💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.