Saturday 16 January 2021

Record from my flat - Red Foxes

 Last night at 11:55 p.m., I had my first sighting of Red Foxes from my flat for several months.

I initially heard a very vocal vixen before eventually seeing her run down the grassy track at the end of my road. Over the next 5 minutes or so, I continued to hear Red Fox vocalisation and saw 2 Red Foxes, possibly a male pursuing a female, on several occasions in the same area.

January is the main mating period for Red Foxes and they can be very vocal at this time of year with screams and barks. Males roam looking for receptive females. By February, most females are pregnant and they start searching out potential den sites before selecting one in which to give birth. The peak birth period is mid-March and cubs emerge from the den site in late April or early May.

Hopefully, I will be as successful this coming spring as I was in the last in discovering a Red Fox den site and being able to watch and photograph the vixen and her 4 cubs for several weeks.

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.