Friday 1 January 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 1st January 2021

Date: 1st January 2021

Time: from 10:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy/misty, light wind, 0°C to 2°C

So, it is now 2021 …. New Year’s Day.

Most birders keep an annual list of UK bird species recorded. I generally record between 225 and 230 species per year although my highest total is 234 species in both 2017 and 2010.

My total for 2020 was 194 species which was significantly lower than recent years due to the various travel restrictions imposed by the Government in its response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The first few days of 2020 started normally for me with some winter birding (as it usually does) in East Anglia and south west England to kick off my 2020 year list …. see here. However, the initial national lockdown from 23rd March 2020 forced me to cancel all my planned spring and early summer wildlife watching trips around East Anglia and to Somerset, Wales and the Scottish Highlands and this had an inevitable impact on my final 2020 year list total.

2021 is not starting normally by any means given that Government imposed tier 4 “stay at home” restrictions apply to my area. How long they continue in to the year remains to be seen. I have no idea whether or not I will be able to undertake my usual spring and early summer trips.

For birders who keep an annual list of UK bird species recorded, New Year’s Day is a “big day”.

For me, given that I do have a car (I rent cars for trips) and there is no public transport on New Year’s Day, I usually kick off my new year list by birding local to home. Therefore today was no different in that I visited St. Nicholas Church and the surrounding areas.

It was very cold this morning as on my last 2 visits but it was also very grey and cloudy and misty. If it had not been New Year’s Day, I probably would not have bothered going out. As it was, I didn’t bother taking my camera with me due to the poor light.

As I left home, I immediately noted my “first of the year” …. a Magpie. However, as I walked along Basildon Road towards Larkin Tyres, I saw c.10 Redwings in the bushes and trees that border the road.

I accessed the site as usual via the track from Larkins Tyres and quickly saw a further c.15 Redwings in the bushes bordering the scrubland. In the western section of the cemetery, Redwings were again very active flying to and fro between the trees and berry bushes as on my last visit and there were at least c.20 birds here too.

Other than that, I did not see anything of particular note although every species was of course a “first of the year”. However, the species total of 13 for my visit was much lower than the excellent 23 species recorded on my last visit on 28th December 2020.

With regard to mammals, I think I had an extremely brief sighting of the rear end of a Red Fox in the western section of the cemetery but I could not be certain.

I saw 5 Grey Squirrels this morning: 1 along the track from Larkins Tyres, 1 in the wooded clearing at the end of the track, 1 in the eastern section of the cemetery, 1 in the western section of the cemetery and 1 in the trees at the bottom of Church Hill near Laindon Park School.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin 
Redwing
Blackbird
House Sparrow
Goldfinch
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull

Grey Squirrel

Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 51  (13)
Mammals = 6  (1)
Butterflies = 21  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.