Saturday 2 January 2021

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 2nd January 2021

Date: 2nd January 2021

Time: from 10:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy, light wind, 2°C to 3°C

This morning, I had my first visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve since 2nd December 2020.

As on my New Year’s Day visit to St. Nicholas Church and the surrounding areas, it was a cold and very grey and cloudy morning.

I saw and heard very few birds during my visit but nonetheless I did have some notable sightings.

As I arrived on site, I almost immediately saw 12 fly-over Redwings. This was my first record for the site and brought my site total for bird species to 40.

In addition, I saw a female Sparrowhawk glide over the track between the Eastfield Road entrance and the storage shed plus 2 pairs of Mallards, the first pair on Willow Pond and the second pair on Puckles Pond.

Finally, I saw 4 Grey Squirrels: 2 at the bottom of the “Spanish Steps” and another 2 in the wooded area between the storage shed and the meadow.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Redwing
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Goldfinch
Sparrowhawk
Woodpigeon
Jay
Magpie

Carrion Crow
Herring Gull
Mallard 

Grey Squirrel

Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 40  (16)
Mammals = 2  (1)
Butterflies = 18  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.