Sunday 3 January 2021

Records from my flat - Cormorant and Sparrowhawk

On 24th June 2020 I made a decision to cease recording sightings on a daily basis from what is no longer a "lockdown window" although it resumed that status again temporarily during the later weeks of 2020.

However, I also said at that time that I would continue to post any interesting records as and when they arise.

From the start of 2021, I am no longer going to describe my flat window as “lockdown” or “non-lockdown” since the status of Government restrictions on what we can do and where we can go during the Covid-19 pandemic seems to be constantly changing!

From now on, I am just going to record notable "records from my flat” which is a much more straightforward description. Hopefully during 2021, I can add to the 34 species recorded to date from my flat.

And so to the first records of 2021 ….

Today at 12:30 p.m., I noticed a Cormorant strongly flying high in a northerly direction. I have seen this species previously before from my flat but it nonetheless remains an extremely unusual record. The nearest Cormorants to me are the small numbers of birds (up to 3) that can usually be seen on the main lake at Gloucester Park less than a mile away. Being so early in the year, the Cormorant seen today was my first record anywhere in 2021.

Not long afterwards, I also saw a Sparrowhawk at 12:45 p.m. soaring briefly over the wooded area behind the houses opposite my flat before it drifted off. This is a species that I do see fairly regularly from my flat but usually in the spring and early summer when displaying birds are more evident during the breeding season. This was my second record of Sparrowhawk during 2021, having seen my first at Noak Bridge Nature Reserve during my visit on 2nd January 2021.

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.